Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Public Rejections

I went public with my rejection of the World of Beauty show yesterday on QA. It has had the intended effect...a lot of people now realize that many of us who are in shows get rejected...we don't get in to all of the shows. It is interesting, however, that the odds of getting in to WOB were not too bad as 40% of the entries did get in.

I was looking back at my pile of entries for other shows which were declined and the odds of getting in those was even worse. At the Holter Museum of Art there were 55 pieces selected from 1400 entries; the Marin Society of Artists selected 113 pieces of art out of 1600 pieces entered by 568 artists; Touchstone Galleries has 348 artists enter over 1000 pieces of art and 67 were chosen from 65 artists.

And then there are all the rejections that don't tell you how many were entered or picked but just send back your notification sheet.

So I just keep entering and have had a lot of pieces accepted in different places...it just depends upon what the jurors are looking for and being at the right place at the right time.

Oh well, Summer Fun didn't make World of Beauty in Houston but it is going to the Pennsylvania Quilt Festival and will also be at the Marin Needlework and Quilt Show soon. So we just keep slugging away, sending in money and self addressed stamped envelopes along with our hopes...

6 comments:

PaMdora said...

I love Summer Fun and don't know why it didn't get in Houston! Now I'm glad I didn't kill myself to get something ready for that show... :) Anyway, I think it's a stunner.

Debra said...

Hey, Liz, Can you post a picture of Summer Fun (again... if you already ahve)... I'm not remember it.

Gerrie said...

I love summer fun and can't wait to see it live at Marin.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elle said...

Like getting published, all you can do is to keep on sending them out. Slim letters are the worst, but it would've been worse not to have been able to enter at all. These things are so subjective.

gabrielle said...

Hey, Liz, I have been rejected by the best of them....and so far, still getting sending out the stuff. Your post on QA was honest and up front. We all get rejection letters....and we need to learn that rejection doesn't mean that the work isn't good, just not right for that show at that time. You said the right thing at the right time...hoping to encourage others to try again.